I’ve been enamoured with the idea of breakfast salads recently and have been enjoying this Cobb Salad virtually every day. I eat it around 11-12 noon and it keeps me going till dinner, and I find it saves a lot of time only having to eat 2 meals per day. The dressing is made with homemade mayo and is so silky and luscious, it is the star of the show. It is a great salad to take on picnics because it doesn’t get soggy. Just pack the dressing separately and add prior to serving.
This salad can be a time-consuming to make all the components from scratch, but is quicker to prepare if you have cooked chicken, bacon and hard-boiled eggs on hand. I like to bake a big batch of chicken marylands and freeze some to use later.
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic (roasted or pressure-cooked)
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium cos lettuce
- 1 large handful of rocket
- Any other herbs you like, such as basil, coriander, watercress
- Celery, finely diced, 1 stick (optional)
- Cooked meat (skin-on) from 2 chicken marylands, diced (approx 3 cups)
- 6 rashers of bacon
- White wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 avocado, deseeded and sliced
- 3-4 hardboiled eggs, quartered
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Black pepper, salt
- Cook the bacon till crispy. I love using the oven as you don’t need to supervise it very much and when cooked in the frypan it tends to curl up. When bacon is cool, cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the dressing ingredients. Set aside. (I use cooked or roasted garlic as it is less harsh than raw garlic. A quick way is to trim the top off a full unpeeled head of garlic and cook in the pressure cooker for 5 minutes.)
- Tear the lettuce and greens into bite sized pieces and place into salad bowl. Add chicken (and celery if using) and combine.
- Arrange the sliced avocado on top; sprinkle on a little white wine vinegar or lemon juice to prevent browning. Next, add the eggs and bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, drizzle the dressing generously over the salad and add the chives.